Adventure outside the city limits

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport||

Tuesday, July 16, 2013


If you know me, then you know that I am a city girl through and through (or a yuppie girl as Uncle Si would say.) So when my parents decided that they wanted to drive 15 miles out of town to Morven to go to Pike's Landing catfish house, you would know that it would not be a good idea for me. 

To start with, I was the youngest person there by about three decades. Which means that you have to get there by 4 p.m. if you don't want to wait an hour to eat. Since I am not 80 years old and was busy Saturday afternoon, we didn't make it there until 5. Big mistake. 

While waiting for an hour, my dad and the man sitting beside me had an intricate discussion about the inner workings of irrigation systems and how all the rain we have been having is the best thing for farmers. (Even though it has severely cut into my pool time.) This man also didn't trust the automatic shut off valves on the systems and said that you shouldn't run your irrigation systems between 4 and 10 p.m. because those are beak household hours. Don't even get me started on the use of pivots. I know what too much. 

And when it comes to Southern seafood, I thought I would make a list of all of the items I don't like: 


+cheese grits
+restaurant coleslaw
+fried fish with the bones and fins left on (I don't want to work that hard to eat my food)
+mullet
+mullet gizzards
+bream
+pearch

So I ate my grilled shrimp, hushpuppies and sweet potato fries and counted down until I could venture back to civilization. It is a whole different world in Morven and one I would like to avoid, unless going to get peaches.I happen to like being a stone's throw away from my neighbors and have a wide selection of dinner options. 

No comments: