Lost in Translation

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, August 14, 2013


A German trying to rationalize the American expression "party pooper." Be prepared to laugh so loud that your boss comes in to see what's so funny that you have to show them this video then you have a bonding moment and then you are given the afternoon off. So maybe that is a best case scenario, but you should watch it anyways if you haven't already seen it. 

What I really want to know is why this guy is filming himself in his car with his seat leaned back farther than a rapper with swag. I mean really. Are you hiding from the government because your visa to become a music icon is about to expire? 

But it got me thinking: What other American phrases would seem strange to foreigners? Feel free to add ones you think of. 

+Raining cats and dogs
+A little bird told me...
+Rachet
+YOLO
+Homewrecker 
+A piece of cake
+To tie the knot
+Wild goose chase
+Wear out your welcome

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jennifer, you has some mental issue... Have you speaken to somebody?"
Oh my gosh, soooo funny. Idioms really throw foreigners for a loop! How about "filthy rich" and "two peas in a pod" and "I smell a rat" and "spill the beans." It'd be interesting to see how many of them we use each day.

Josie @ The Magic Pomegranate said...

That video is hilarious! There are so many idioms that we use in English, it's hard to actually be aware of them. One that I said recently was "a dime a dozen."