Event planning is not for the faint of heart

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My blog is going to sound like an empty auditorium for the next week and a half. I'm interning this semester with the Main Street program and my main job is helping to organize the annual Get Down Downtown festival, which a two-day outdoor event in downtown Searcy featuring more than 20 performances and 100 vendors. Did I mention that it's the weekend after next? Needless to say, I am up to my eyeballs in rolled up t-shirts, flyers, yard signs and posters to be delivered.

I knew what I was getting myself into. I understood that event planning was more than creating elaborate ideas and letting someone else figure out the logistical aspects to make your dreams a reality. But when you're working on essentially a three-person team, you end up wearing many hats. Now that we are below the two week deadline we are kicking it into high gear. While it's exciting to see all of the aspects coming together, the time pressures are starting to set in and become a reality.

So I'm sorry I'm not sorry for stealing a page out of Erin and Whitney's blogs and participating in their "This or That" link up.

Let's get this party started.

Vacationing in NYC or vacationing in FL: I would love to give NYC a second chance when it's not in the dead of winter. Because searching for free public buildings to stay in to warm up every few hours becomes tiring.
iPhone or Droid: iPhone all the way. Even if it is the brand of choice for everyone over the age of 45. They are just so pretty. PS I have my eye on the champagne 5s if any of you are wanting to shower me with presents.
NSYNC or Backstreet Boys: Backstreet Boys. I Want it That Way was on repeat throughout my childhood.
Being forced to delete FB or Twitter: Facebook because it is on it's way out anyways. Save the political rants and pictures of your baby for someone who cares.
Full House or Family Matters: Full House because we all had a crush on John Stamos (mullet and all) as 13-year-old girls. Don't even lie and say that you were the exception.
Dumbledore or Gandalf: Is this even a debatable issue? Dumbledore will forever and always be my favorite headmaster slash leader of the magical realms. Gandalf can take his 8 hour long movies and hike towards Middle Earth.
Dying easter eggs or carving pumpkins: Tough call because I hate the messiness of carving pumpkins, but I love fall. So I choose decorating the outside of pumpkins.
Hannah Montana or Miley Cyrus: Both  Miley and her alter ego were sad child stars. Where is Billy Rae when you need him?
Shark Week or Fashion Week: I'll take Shark Week because Megaladon probably weighed more than all the models in Fashion Week combined.
Fresh Prince or Saved by the Bell: Tough call but I watched Saved by the Bell every morning before school. Even the strange episodes where they all went to work at the resort for the summer. Could have lived without those. And the college years.
Burrito or Burrito bowl: Thankfully most of you haven't seen me eat. If you have then you know that I'm pretty messy so I always go with the bowl to save myself the embarrassment.
Dough Funny or Rugrats: Fun story, the creator of Doug is a Harding alum and I got to have dinner with him when I was in California.

2 comments:

Tammy Jo said...

OMG I'm a PREM (public relations and event mangament) major too!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!

emi said...

fun questions and answers!! love this.

i always love finding a kindred travel lover! can't wait to follow along on bloglovin.
xo

the well-traveled wife