Community

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

No matter what stage in life you're in, as humans we crave a sense of community and belonging. Whether it's when  looking for friends on the playground in elementary school or someone to discuss last night's episode of Scandal with by the watercooler, we need a group that share common interests surrounding us.

In the past five years, my core group and community has shifted mainly due to distance and it is likely to shift again very soon. Although I'd like to hold on to the idea that friends you make in college are more likely to be lifelong friends than those from high school. 

This week is club week (my school's version of rush) and I hope that all of the freshman and sophomore pledges are able to find a place on campus where they belong. While I found my community elsewhere, everyone wants and needs to feel like they are a part of something bigger that matters. Having a sense of community grounds you and eases some of the worry and anxiety of constantly being put in new situations. You have others who have been in your shoes and can help you through the transition.

The most important thing to remember is that building your community is not a passive action. It takes work on your part. Genuine friends are not going to magically appear at your doorstep and introduce themselves. You will need to make some effort seeking them out. And once you find them, building new relationships also takes time and effort. Especially if you come across someone who also looks a little lost and confused, reach out. Because chances are, they, too, are searching for community. 

No matter where I end up, I'm also thankful for my online blogging community. I can't say it enough, but I have met some of the most talented and inspiring ladies through this process and I love finding others around the world who share my interests and goals. 

_______________________________________________

Now I would like to introduce the lovely ladies who have been on my sidebar this month.
They're all wonderful  and such a part of my online community so stop by and introduce yourself!
You should read: 
You should read: 
You should read: 

2 comments:

Tammy Jo said...

A very good post and it is so true!!!!

Neja said...

Thank you Jess for this! You wrote it perfectly ... community is something that just warms your heart!