I did wish for a snow day + Sponsor Spotlight

Thursday, December 5, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Thursday, December 5, 2013





Central Arkansas is bracing for the eminently approaching winter storm that may hit tonight. The South just does not do well when the temperature is below 40. Lines at the grocery are wrapped around the store with people stockpiling food and water to wait out the storm. And I don't blame them. I've seen the way people in this down drive in perfect conditions and I shudder to think how cars will be slip-sliding on the icy roads.

I secretly wished to get a snow day this semester. And while my one class tomorrow has the potential to be cancelled, freezing rain and sleet somehow doesn't have the magical effect of turning campus into a winter wonderland like snow does. It's more like a winter death trap. If I do have to get out in unfavorable conditions, instead of driving or walking (because that is extremely dangerous for me, too.) I think I'll be like this person in Germany and skate everywhere. 

______________________________________________________________________________


Laura from Side Street Style


Tell me a little about yourself and your blog. 
We are a creative couple who are also parents but that doesn't stop us from travelling, eating good food, enjoying the outdoors and indulging in our passions for music, film and fashion and the blog is really a huge mix of all those things. We also try to bring up our son in a naturally inspired way.

You've travelled around the world with your husband and son. Can you pick just one favorite trip? Where would you like to travel again? 
Well between all of us we have been to 26 countries and have loads more planned. I have to say one of my personal favorites not because the place was awe inspiring but because of the host I stayed with would have to be Zagreb, the capital of Croatia. I went there before having Mr A and was couch-surfing and stayed with a Playwright who took me to see some old black and white croatian cinema as well as some underground bars, it was amazing because of the company. Johns favorite place to date I think is Mauritius and as a family it has to be our first trip we ever did while Mr A was only a few months old, it was special simply because it was very much new ground for us as parents. We didn't go far, just to Mid Wales but it was beautiful, rural and we climbed up to the top of a Cliff Faced castle which was really beautiful.

Why did you decide to start blogging? What is something you have learned from this experience? 
I started it simply to express what I was into, reading, listening too, dreaming of going to and anything that inspired me. Blogs are a great way to share, be creative and be inspired and I have made some really good friends both online and in person because of the blog.

I see you have purchased a new house. Congratulations! Are there any design and decorating projects on your horizon? 
Yes!! Many, we have already started a few. When we bought the house at the time we felt it didn't really need much work but once we got the keys and had a proper look around we decided to start a few before putting our furniture in so in the past two weeks we have striped walls, had ceilings plastered, pulled up carpets, laid new ones and will actually be moving in the weekend, after which I have two side bed cabinets screaming to be painted and updated as well as many prints to frame and lots of bits and bobs to work on - can't wait.

What is your favorite holiday traditions? Do you stay home, visit family, or take a trip?
It's really funny as I have been away from home for a few big celebrations but I always try and get into the spirit of things no matter where in the world we may be. 5 years ago I was working in the South of France for Christmas and it was so much fun, everyone was away from home so we all celebrated like we where family and I think that is the main thing enjoy the company you are with. Even though our house will be filled with boxes of Christmas me and little man will enjoy making some homemade decorations and treats.

Anything else you would like to add? 
Well I cannot believe a whole year has nearly passed again and I think it can be a great time for reflection so I have a few big plans for the New Year as well as a big road trip for the family across Europe, so watch this space.

4 comments:

Charlene Maugeri said...

Ugh! My Freshman year during Fall finals we had a crazy snow storm! Finals were delayed a ton which gave me more time to study, but people were falling everywhere.

Chantal said...

We had to brace for a storm here too I'm just very happy it didn't turn out as bad as up north and in Germany and the UK.

Being able to ice skate places is pretty cool though!

Jess Boyd said...

Yes, being snowed in is fun for a day or two, but after that you start to go stir crazy. It wasn't quite frozen enough to ice skate on here, but I was definitely sliding all over the road trying to walk to the cafeteria yesterday!

Jess Boyd said...

I've almost fallen multiple times. It's not melting any time soon, so I think they may have to cancel or postpone finals tomorrow. Plus the heat in my apartment went out Friday night. Thankfully maintenance had enough space heaters to bring over so we aren't freezing!