Cooks in the Kitchen: Berry Banana Pancakes

Friday, March 28, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Friday, March 28, 2014

I'm excited to be linking up with Samantha today for Cooks in the Kitchen. As you are well aware of by now, breakfast foods are my absolute favorite. Eggs and toast are eaten at all hours of the day and pancakes are acceptable morning, noon and night.

So of course, when I found a recipe for classic buttermilk pancakes on The Everygirl, I knew that I had to test it out. I am a self-proclaimed box mix pancake girl. And proud of it. So I went out on a limb taking the time to really make the batter myself. 

While it didn't turn out perfect, I'm turning to those cooking experts out there reading this that might be able to solve the problem. My guess is, I didn't take the time to sift the flour before measuring it. Whatever the problem, the batter resembled buttermilk biscuits more than pancake batter.

Even though they were extremely dense, once I added berries and bananas to the top, all doubt in the recipe slipped my mind. I microwaved frozen mixed berries until they became soft and the juice became the syrup. You can also add the berries to maples syrup as you're heating it for added sweetness.

*I will admit that I did not read all the details and about how this month's ingredient is semi-sweet chocolate. oops. But since I'm not the biggest chocolate fan, well, that's fine by me.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, sifted before measuring
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
Maple syrup or Berry Syrup (see recipe below), for serving
Fresh fruit (sliced bananas, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries), for serving

Directions

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix egg, buttermilk, and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk the batter to combine, until the flour is dampened and just a few lumps remain. Heat an ungreased griddle. Throw a few drops of cold water on the griddle--if they dash about briskly it's ready for use. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter quickly onto the griddle. When bubbles start to form and the edges begin to firm, use a spatula to flip the pancakes to the other side. Cook another minute or two longer, then remove. 

5 comments:

Chantel Klassen said...

Yum, I love fruit with pancakes!

josie c. said...

YUM! You probably needed more milk or water to thin it out. You can mess with pancake recipes and add more liquid to get the right thickness in the batter. Sifting the flour also makes a huge difference- but I usually don't do that so I wing it by adding more wet ingredients when I need to. ;)

Jess said...

thanks for the tips! i always think baking needs exact measurements, but sometimes you just have to wing it and do the whole "guess and check" method.

Jess said...

it made me feel like they were just a little bit more healthy ;)

Jess said...

thanks! it was a great addition than just maple syrup (which i didn't have in the kitchen)