Writing Process: Typing away in semi-coherent sentences

Monday, May 5, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport||

Monday, May 5, 2014


Writing is part of my 8-5 job. So by the time I come home at night (yes, I am one of those who typically doesn't write the next day's post until the night before) I want to write about what I want to write about. Therefore, my topics tend to be a little more on the scattered side. From travel, to recipes, to stories current events and design, I cover a little bit of everything here. I write about anything and everything that is on my mind at the time. And if you've stuck around reading this long, it must not bother you too much. 

Charlene, a fellow Harding alum blogger, invited me to share thoughts on my writing process and why I write, and while my process is much on the lax side, I thought I would share a little with you.

What editorial calendar?

So it's safe to say that I don't have an "editorial calendar" like all of the other popular kids on these here interwebs. I do have my trusted notebook to jot down all of the random ideas that pop in my head, typically when out for a walk or at 3 a.m. There are dozens of post ideas or the starts of posts stored in there. Some won't make it off those pages. And that is probably for the best.

Quality vs. Quantity

I know that I do not have the time, nor the ideas, to post every day. And instead of babbling on like a crazy person, wasting your time and mine, I write when I have something to say. Whether it's information, humor or a different point of view, I'd like to think that my blog is adding something of some value to the Internet.

One in a million?

Do you remember the writing prompts you were given in school? I loved listening to everyone's essays because even though we were all given the same topic, our varying life experiences colored the answers differently. So while I write on the same topics covered by thousands of other writers sitting behind a screen, typing to their hearts content, life makes my writing just different enough to stand out. My blog may not be one in a million, and if that was something I was truly interested in, I would be writing about how to play the ukulele. Although there are probably more than one ukulele enthusiast sharing their tips and tricks to playing a tiny guitar.


Train of Thought (but edited a touch)

Like I said earlier, I write for a living. Which means that I also edit for a living. And I've been known to get into my fair share of grammar debates (which I don't hate.) However, I'd like to think of my blog more as my train of thought, but edited slightly. I can't turn off my the editor in me. I can't write without at least skimming for typos and incorrect capitalization. But I don't take the time to create an outline. Sometimes I think I know where I want a post to go, but while I'm in the process of writing it, I end up somewhere completely different. And that is a beautiful, and sometimes confusing, thing.

What about you? Why do you write? Do you have a process set in stone, or are you a fly by the seat of your pants writer? 

7 comments:

Zoe said...

I definitely write the same way. At the moment (I'm recapping a three week trip on my blog), I have a schedule for posts, but I usually avoid that. Sometimes I'll sit down at my laptop with an idea I'm really excited about, and other times I'll post just to post, just because I feel like writing. I love that this blog (like my own will be, once I ever stop recapping the trip!) is a mash of different topics. It's nice to just have a creative outlet, somewhere to write whatever you want to write!


www.thewhatsinbetween.blogspot.com

Charlene Maugeri said...

Awesome! I love learning about other people's process. Especially since you write for a living. I love your blog and I love that you write what you want. :) I do the same.

Jess // Foreign Room said...

It is very interesting to hear about another blogger's method! I started using an editorial calendar last fall & it has helped me tremendously. I used to just write a list of my plans for each week, but now I use a thin monthly calendar booklet from Sugar Paper that's a great size & place to make notes for each month. I love it! I try my best to schedule posts ahead of time, but that hardly ever happens. The student life, you know? I totally agree with the (edited) train of thought method! I really try to sound like myself, so I don't like to over edit things. Anyway, thanks for sharing what works for you!

xoxo Jess
Foreign Room

Jess Boyd said...

that's awesome! somehow i was able to stay on top of things more when i was a student. maybe it was because i was always constantly busy that i didn't mind squeezing one more thing in. now when i come home from work all i want to do is cook and surf netflix. it's a little sad, actually.

Jess Boyd said...

thanks for inviting me to do this! blogging is such a great creative outlet :)

Jess Boyd said...

i couldn't agree more! and recapping trips are the best. you get to relive them just a little longer while you edit photos and write the narratives.

jules said...

hahaaa, is it really bad that I've not even heard of a editorial calendar?! (Newbie over here...) I do have a notebook though, full of scribbling and illegible ideas. I try to have some sort of schedule for the week, but I tend to write best when I just sit down and go for it! I really liked this post - I'm so nosey, so I love to see how other bloggers plan their ideas. Your photos are really beautiful too! x