Outlander and the Scottish Highlands

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Saturday afternoon was spent in one of the longest TV marathons I've had in a while catching up on all five episodes of Outlander. I was hooked after the first episode. The show has everything you could ask for: time travel, history, British/Scottish accents, romance, war and political manipulation. It's brilliant.

The main character, Claire, is transported back in time from the end of WWII to 1743 in the Scottish highlands. She is taken in (semi-against her will) by the Mackenzie clan, who fear that she is a British spy. Claire's nurse's training from the war makes her useful as a healer to the clan, even though she is constantly having to work within the sparse medical advances of the day. 

Claire also has 20/20 hindsight about the fate and history of the clan system in the upcoming Jacobite rising. She's faced with the difficult decision of warning the Mackenzie's that they are preparing for a loosing battle and letting history run its course.

To be continued in the episodes in the weeks to come. It's not too late to catch up as well! Have you fallen in love with this show as much as I have?

The show made me reminisce the few days I spent in Scotland on free travel. If only I could go back soon... 

13 comments:

Alex Fahey said...

I always miss the highlands. It was one of my most favorite trips I've ever taken. And I think I need to get on the Outlander train!

Jess said...

Do it! I was hooked from the start. I literally didn't move for 5 hours while watching it haha. Other than Paris, Scotland was my favorite trip that I took while studying abroad and is the one place that I wouldn't mind going back to visit. Looking back I wish I would have skipped Dublin and Ireland in favor of extending my time in Scotland. Next time though :)

Sammy @ Days Like This said...

Wow!! Amazing. I am planning to visit the Highlands early next year. can't wait!

Camila said...

First, love your photos! Two, I LOVE that show! I had never read the books, but had heard about them, but when the show came out I started reading the books too! I love the show! It's so cool to know the places that I've also visited, etc. I went to the castle they used to film Castle Leoch, it feels so special :)

Nathalie said...

I watched the first episode of that show and was immediately hooked, had never heard of the books before but I started reading them immediately (speaking of an obsession!). I already wanted to go to Scotland and see the highlands, but every time I watch that show now the feeling just gets stronger. So jealous you already had the chance to go there, it looks stunning! :)

Jess said...

You will love it! Especially after spending a lot of time in cities, it's nice to escape to the country.

Jess said...

No way! That is awesome. I remember after visiting Tantallon castle, I watched Tristan + Isolde for like the millionth time and realized that it was mentioned in the beginning. Such a cool feeling. And I've heard such good things about the books. Can't wait to read them!

Jess said...

Can't wait to start reading the books! The highlands was one of my favorite trips that I took on free travel. Now I wished I would have spent more time exploring.

Sara Rose said...

I haven't seen the show yet but I LOVED the books!!

Kaelene @ Unlocking Kiki said...

Love the photo of the bag pipe player!

Amy said...

I absolutely adore the show! Everything about it gorgeous, the settings, costumes and cast! Although we've only watched the first 3 episodes. I didn't get a chance to go to the highlands when I visited Scotland a couple years ago, but I'm trying to convince my (Scottish) finance we need to go back for a visit!

Megan C. Stroup said...

Okay, I've been hearing about how awesome that book series is for years, and I kept putting it off. I guess the show is the kick-in-the-butt I needed to get reading!

Jess said...

I must have been sleeping under a rock when these book became popular! I had never heard of them (or the show) until a month ago.